Sunday, May 31, 2020

The Pause


Where I Belong ~ Cory Asbury & Anna Asbury

Blessed are those who dwell in Your house;
They will still be praising You. Selah
~ Psalm 84:4 NKJV

Confession: Usually when I see “Selah” in the Psalms, I barely glance at it and keep going. What if I didn’t? What if I did what it said? Selah means, “rest, silence, pause,” indicating to the singer of the Psalms that his/her voice should be silent while the music continues. What if, instead of rushing through God’s Word, I paused where it indicated?

The Selah’s purpose is for the listener, though the instruction is to the singer. The pause gives a chance for thought and reflection. We live in such an instant messenger world, that we expect the revelation and answer to come lickety-split. Seldom do we take the time to just enjoy the silence, giving pause to our days, to listen to, reflect on, and ponder what the Lord has to say.

I don’t know about where you live, but here, many traditional summer activities have been canceled and remain closed. While it’s frustrating and hard on the kids, perhaps this is a perfect time to take that pause. Selah is a brief, silent note – not forever, not even all day – just a moment to sit still and listen to what the Lord speaks when you pause.
Selah
©Heather Potts 2020

No comments:

Post a Comment