Saturday, January 2, 2016

Changing Your Mind

I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. ~ Philippians 4:13 NKJV

Newton’s First Law of Motion states that an object at rest stays at rest and an object in motion stays in motion…unless acted upon by an unbalanced force.  The mind can either be at rest or it can be busy at all times.

My mind was in perpetual motion, constantly worried about something. Although things were being taken care of, I was never able to rest. But a wise friend suggested a semester of rest—to stop working and just rest in my Father’s love for me.  That was hard to do.  I was a “doer” and in the midst of the chaos, my identity got caught up in “doing” instead of being…

When I was first told to run as a way to alleviate stress, I really disliked it, but I quickly discovered that running was the unbalanced force my mind needed to shift from doing to resting.  But the enemy was aware of this and began to flood my mind with constant lies, “You’ll never be able to do this.  You’re too tired. You can’t do this.”  Over and over I heard in my head, “I can’t! I can’t! I can’t!”  But then something amazing happened: I opened my mouth and said, “I can! I can! I can!”  Throughout that whole day, and every time after when I felt something come against me, I would open my mouth and say, “I can!”

What has the enemy been saying you can’t do? Refute his lies by saying out loud, “I can!”

©Heather Potts 2016

No comments:

Post a Comment