Wednesday, January 6, 2016

Decluttering

Strip yourselves of your former nature…And be constantly renewed in the spirit of your mind [having a fresh mental and spiritual attitude], and put on the new nature… created in God’s image…in true righteousness and holiness…rejecting all falsity ~ Ephesians 4:22-25 AMP

Physics teaches that two objects cannot occupy the same space simultaneously, trying to do so creates clutter.  Within the past few months, I’ve started decluttering both my home and my mind. When I’ve tried in the past, the change never seemed to stick and everything always reverted back to former ways.

Whether it’s our homes or our minds, we can’t have two things occupy the same space at the same time.  BUT we can replace one thing with another. 1 Corinthians 2:16 reminds us that we have the clear, concise, and creative mind of Christ, guided by His thoughts and purposes.  This is not an overnight process.  It’s a daily walk, and some days are harder than others.  It took me 21 days just to reach the point that I was ready to begin.  At 28 days, I finally got butt-naked honest with God.  And His response: Now we can begin.  After 64 days, the change that was taking place in my mind, also began revealing itself in my body and my house.  I was running 3 days a week, building stronger muscles and overall health and fitness.  I’ve cleared out clothes that don’t fit or I haven’t worn in over a year. I’ve also cleared the clutter in “my space,” creating for myself a place to write and have God-time.

After 117 days, I’m still moving forward, as it’s a daily walk taking my thoughts captive and keeping spaces clutter-free. But each day I remember that I have cast off the rags that weighed me down. And every day I praise the Lord, “for He has…covered me with the robe of righteousness, (Isaiah 61:10 AMP). 

Whatever has been taking up space in your life and mind, remember you can’t just “add to” whatever is already there without creating clutter.  Galatians 2:19-20 says we have been crucified with Christ and we no longer live, but Christ lives in us. Allow Christ to replace the old with the new!
©Heather Potts 2016

No comments:

Post a Comment