Friday, January 1, 2016

Run w Perseverance

You shall be called by a new name, which the mouth of the LORD will name. ~ Isaiah 62:2 NKJV

I’ve always hated running.

Last September, however, a friend suggested running as a great way to improve my overall mental, emotional, and physical health.  Though I protested, she told me to do it anyway.  A few days later, after running 2 blocks, I felt like I was going to die! 

On October 10, while attending the Daughters of the King conference, Jennifer Nock, referencing Isaiah 62:2, shared how God changed Sarai and Abram to Sarah and Abraham in order to replace the works of their hands with His power to fulfill His promised purpose. That night, God promised to call me by my new name.

By late October, I was running ¾ mile and got talked into running in the Jingle 5K, beginning my official training on October 24.  But on the 26th, everything was working against me: both girls were throwing tantrums, I couldn’t find clean running clothes, and I felt like I had a UTI.  Finally, I said, “I’m going anyway!” I found clothes that would do, put the girls in the double stroller, drank plenty of water and away I went.  Near the end of my run, I heard Holy Spirit say I am “one who perseveres.”  He called me by my new name! He called me by His promised purpose for me!  But I wanted to know more, so I asked Him to reveal scripture that went with my new name. He led me to Hebrews 12:1-2, “Let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles. Let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us, fixing our eyes on Jesus.”

God has a promised purpose for each of us. In this new year, let's be determined to never stop running after God and He’ll never stop amazing us!

©Heather Potts 2016

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for your words of wisdom. I am also struggling with not giving up and running the race. I know it is a day by day walk with my Lord. It's the baby steps that I have to continue with. Keep on keeping on. Our Father is a good good Father and His promises are always true. This life we are living is a marathon not just a sprint.Phil. 3:14, 1 Cor.9:24.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Denise, you have always been a strong woman of God. Keep your eyes fixed on Him and He'll run with you every step of the way!

    ReplyDelete