Friday, December 25, 2009

Content Christmas

Living in Florida at Christmastime has never been the same as living in Wisconsin. For as many years as I can remember, we always had snow for Christmas (in Wisconsin). It wasn't always snowing on Christmas, but at least there was always snow on the ground. But when it did snow for Christmas, especially on Christmas Eve, it was magical. Light fluffy snow drifting to the ground was signature Christmas.

On our way home tonight, from a family get-together, we were listening to the new Chris Tomlin CD. The song, "Winter Snow" was playing as we turned the corner near our house. Icicle lights, hung on the houses, caught my eye as the song continued to play. There was something gentle about the soft glow of the lights and the melody of the music. The combination wrapped around my heart and I felt the glow of content Christmas. Paul said, "I have learned to be content...I have learned the secret," (Philippians 4:11-12). Contentment is not millions of toys or hoards of money. Contentment is a feeling inside that no one can steal from you. I don't know if I can explain the feeling, but when you have it, you know it's there.

The song, "Winter Snow," describes how Jesus came to the earth, "like a winter snow." That's how I feel my contentment to be tonight. It's like sitting by the fireside, watching the fall of the winter snow, "quiet and soft and slow."

No comments:

Post a Comment