Tuesday, December 1, 2009

God's Open Doors

Is this your marriage: You have a reputation of being alive, but you are dead, (Revelation 3:1)? If so, do as the Bible commands: Wake up! Strengthen what remains and what is about to die, (v2, bold mine). You don't have to give up just because times are tough! The whole world may be "sending you signs" to give up, you may even drive past "Divorce ASAP" every day, but God sent His own sign: Jesus Christ, our Lord.

God doesn't do anything without reason; He does everything with a purpose. He sent His Son as a way to connect with us on our human level. He wanted to make a way that when we cry out to Him, He could say, "I know, I've been there." A husband cries out and says, "She's given up on me!" God says, "Never will I leave you; never will I forsake you," (Hebrews 13:5). A wife cries out, "He doesn't love me anymore...and I don't know if I love him." God says, "I have loved you with an everlasting love; I have drawn you with loving-kindness," (Jeremiah 31:3). A couple cries out, "We don't have strength left to fight for this anymore." God says, "Do not fear, for I am with you...I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you in my righteous right hand," (Isaiah 41:10).

God, Himself, has drawn us to Him using His love for us. Now we, in turn, know how to love one another with that same love. Anytime we feel we are drained, we can turn back to the One who showed us perfect love first. Do not say, "My marriage is doomed to fail," for God said, "I have placed before you an open door that no one can shut," (Revelations 3:8). The Bible tells us, "What [God] opens no one can shut, and what he shuts no one can open," (vv 3:7). If God had not wanted you to get married, He would not have opened that door. However, the end or continuation of your marriage is in your hands, because God also granted you free will. Cry out to God today! Ask Him to fill you with love for and a desire to fight for your spouse. Now, "Wake Up" this marriage, for it is not yet dead.

No comments:

Post a Comment