Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Red Words

My sheep recognize my voice, John 10:27, NLT.

Did you ever wonder why, when Jesus talks in the gospels, the words are in red? It was done so that we would get to know the color of the Lord's voice. People say to pay attention to the red words. In fact, even Brooks & Dunn make mention of it in their song, Believe. The lyrics say, "I raise my hands and bow my head. I'm finding more and more truth to the words written in red. They tell me that there's more to life than just what I can see. Oh, I believe." The line, "They tell me that there's more," is accurate. The red words are a visual practice. There are many sounds and voices in the world, all vying for your attention. If the voice of the Lord is generally a whisper and we are not accustomed to listening for it, how will we ever know what it sounds like, (see 1 Kings 19:12).

The Bible says that if we are His sheep, then we will recognize His voice. I think recognition takes practice and it takes knowing. I also think it depends upon the individual. Did you ever notice that the Lord speaks to many different people in many different ways? He speaks to some through writing and some through speaking and some through songs and some through the written word. We all learn and understand in different ways. The Lord designed us that way and so He will communicate to us, individually.

The Lord said He wanted us to recognize the color and tone of His voice and He is always speaking to us. He can be heard in a hurricane and in the falling of the winter snow. He will speak to the single mom and the stay-at-home mom. He will speak to the childless and the mother of seven. He will speak to the rock star and the aspiring artist. He will speak at the top, in the middle, and on the bottom rung of the corporate ladder. He speaks to the team player and to the soloist. He speaks to the well-loved child and the fatherless. He speaks to proud parents and worried parents. He speaks to Olympic champs and kids goofing off. He speaks to the 80 year old and the infant. He speaks to the widow and the widower. He speaks to the wealthy and the homeless. He speaks to those in prison and to those who are free. He speaks to those who are in debt and to those who are not. He speaks to you and your brother, to your father and your mother. He speaks to them all. The only difference: who's listening? Who knows and can see the tone and color of His voice? He said, I'm in the red words. Look for me in the red words. My sheep know my voice and they follow me.

No comments:

Post a Comment